Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

On 05/06/2017 05:19 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 17:54:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Bought a few Macs for $60 each quite a while back.

I wanted to try a Lytro and OSX was the only supported OS at the
time

I think I would have checked into emulation before spending a dime on
an actual Mac. I wouldn't even take 'free' ones.

I tried everything I could think of, I did find a hacked version of OSX
that would run on a PC but it was not fully functional.

I needed a laptop anyway for when I;d go on vacation back in the days
before I had a smartphone so for $60 I figured I could not go too far wrong.

My second one was one of those all in-one pieces of **** that I swore
I'd never own, but I got one in pristine condition for $60.

It's handy when I want to give a slide show and just let it run...and
not have clutter in the living room.

I do in fact hate Macs, they are built for style and to look cool.

The old ones especially were almost impossible to work on.

I mentioned that I have upgraded a number of Win7 machines to
Win10, but my wife's main machine which is used to to real work,
is staying with Win7.

So what are your plans when Windows 7 EOL comes and is no longer
supported?

At that time I may either upgrade the machine or have my wife not
use it on-line.

Not use it online? Do you think hacking is like what you see in the
movies or something?

True, some of the most badly infected machines I've worked on had all
the updates. At any rate I am not worried about someone "hacking in" to
my wife's computer.

Just remembered that on my main machine which runs Linux, I still have
the XP drive in it and can dual boot. I did the registry hack to make it
look like XP- POS and am still getting updates for it

I might even upgrade the thing when she is between projects or
perhaps pull the drive and perform a test install on a spare drive

Upgrade as in goto Windows 10, or?

My wife told me she would accept Win10 as long as her Wacom fully
functions. I will put her Wacom on another Win10 machine and see if it
meets her approval.