Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

On 05/06/2017 05:19 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 09:55:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/04/2017 07:40 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 20:34:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I did not try that but to make things clear, the mobo I had
specifically did not have USB-2 or USB-3 drivers.

Which means likely didn't have hardware for those type of ports
present on it. Which means, no drivers. I use the word likely
intentionally, btw. I have seen boards that infact did have the
required hardware, but, at the time of shipment, didn't have
drivers for the newer stuff and resorted to older drivers,
instead. Better to have slower running ports than dead ones,
right?

Wrong

Ahh... Looking further down, you've acquired a windows 10 friendly
mainboard. And, you mentioned you couldn't get USB 2 running, but you
didn't explain the ports wouldn't run at all, nor did you mention the
board was expecting Windows 10 at the time...My mistake for assuming
you had USB v1 speed from them. Why did you think that Windows 7
drivers would have been available for everything on the board from the
manufacturer? That just doesn't make much sense to me...

The specs clearly said Win10 so I did not make the assumption older
operating systems were supported, but I thought for sure I could come up
with something.

There were Win7 drivers available for everything but the USB and an
add-on card was a whopping ten bucks so it could have been used with Win7.

I was going to use it for myself actually as my own Windows machine
supports a maximum of 8 gigs of RAM and I put 16 gigs in this new
machine...however I do not need 16 gigs...so now the machine is ready
for the next person who wants from me, something better than a used
machine.

It could be gone next week or it may sit in my shop for a year...so I
figured might as well put Win10 on the machine rather than give someone
a machine with a soon to be obsolete OS

There are not going to be drivers for Win7 for that board...at
least not from the mfg.

Why would you expect any? Windows 7/8.1 are on the way out.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157729

My friend who used to write drivers for a living told me he could
do it....if he gets PAID

I don't have a problem with that. Writing drivers is a pain in the ass.
Why shouldn't he be paid for the work he'll have to do?

I was absolutely not expecting my buddy to write drivers for me.

You might not actually have to go that far though. It may still be
possible to find compatible drivers for Windows 7 and that board...
They won't come from asus and they'd be generic in nature, but... It's
possible. Have you tried one of the gianormous driver collection
packages? I've got two of them. Driverpack and SDI. Credit to Shadow
for turning me onto the SDI collection.

I was not aware of that driver pack at the time but I did try one of
those universal driver packs with no results

I am very honest , to the point where most of the work I do , if I
get paid at all, I get grossly underpaid. Mostly I do it because I
like doing it.

I have no problems with that. I do all kinds of 'freebie' stuff too,
mostly for friends, family, and co-workers. I'm not out to become
filthy rich; I can't take it with me anyhow. Just finished switching a
nice HP laptop from 32bit Vista to 64bit Linux Mint KDE 17.3; it flies!
And, the owner is very happy with it, too. She's nearly 80 years old
and has no trouble using it. So, I think almost! anyone could use that
distro, especially if they were already familiar with Windows. I'm not
ready to go the 18.x route just yet...I'm still taking a wait and see
approach. They've changed a few things around, and, I don't like it.
Mostly, the lack of codecs already present with the iso.

The NPO where I did the volunteer work wanted me to setup machines for
the members to use for web access and do their personal stuff.

I gave them all Linux machines, put a shortcut to Firefox on the desktop
and gave no one special instructions. Many of the members have cognitive
problems but they all were able to use the machine with no problem.

Unless something like a power supply blew, I did not maintenance work on
the machines and they'd go for years with no trouble.

Had they been Windows machines they would have ruined them.
The desktop was often filled with Windows .exe crapware

Some of the people I deal with are pretty clueless...
They often doing even knwo what operating system they are using ,
when I ask them. If I'm lucky they will say "Windows."

Hey! Atleast you have *some idea* what OS might be on the machine.
I've had people bring me 'Windows' boxes that are actually running some
flavor of Linux. ROFL. How they get the two confused, I really don't
know. The distro's I've seen don't look THAT MUCH like Windows...But, I
haven't seen every distro out there either. so...

The speaker was one of those with a voice coil. It also had the
audio transformer attached, so I really needed to pull it out
rather than use a standard permanent magnet speaker.

Speaking of which, I need to find a shop that might be able to recone
an old tube VHF radio I've got. Some little miscreant knocked holes in
it and has essentially shredded the speaker at this point...Last time I
actually turned it on though, it did run. So, I'm a bit irked to find
it in it's present condition. It belonged to my grandmother.

I normally would not spend the money to have a speaker re-coned but for
my grandmother's radio I sure would.

I have two of my grandmother's radios here, one is a console and the
other a nice wooden table top.

I am also leaving my grandmother's wiring modification in place.

She made the cord longer on one of the radios. She cut the cord
somewhere in the middle and spliced-in a section of extension cord that
the cut the ends off. The splices are wrapped in friction tape!

If my buddy does not want it, I may sell the green, electric eye
tube on eBay and just toss it.

Seriously? Can't you find a museum with a radio collection or
something? they might want it. If you're going to toss it, atleast
collect all the viable parts first. And, sell those on ebay if you
must. Hate to see things goto a landfill if they can be repurposed.

You are right, there is no way I can toss it. When I had the cabinet
disassembled it looked pretty hopeless but as of a few minutes ago it's
all back together. I will save it until I find a new home.