Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 18V or 20V for lithium powered tools?

On 5/6/2017 5:00 AM, mike wrote:
18V or 20V for lithium powered tools?

4V increments include 16V and 20V.
Where does the 18V come from?
Some of the 20Vmax tools have fine print
about being 20V after charge, but 18V in use???

Sure, tipped up they will be 20v but aftr a few seconds of use you will
see only 18. Marketing, not real

Are 20Vmax tools any better than the 18 volt ones?
Or did some marketing type get his way
and exaggerate at the advertising meeting???

How cynical of you to thing advertisers would exaggerate.

If I don't replace everything, I still have to maintain
all the tools, batteries, chargers that I have now.
The whole purpose is to downsize the tool collection.

Too much choice, too little info.

Yes. I find the 18V to be unnecessarily heavy when doing lighter jobs.
I still use my Panasonic 15.6V drill because it is smaller, lighter,
gets the job done. Hardly touch the 18v. Don't get caught up in the
bigger is better thing.