Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default is there a bigger piece of **** than an I-phone?

"FMurtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Friday, 5 May 2017 23:16:27 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations of 'I
don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the i-phone, there
is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off. Nothing in any menu
indicated it was turned off. Nor did it come with any manual.

There are people here who say that the linux command line is old
fashioned and opaque. They have obviously never set up an I phone.

So that's 5 hours in total trying to solve basic simple problems like
'how the **** do I insert the sim card? and 'How the **** do I get this
heap of unadulterated wombat turds to do the MOST BASIC THING, like
ring...

Even my nokia 102 is crap. The old nokias had a green telephone that
you
pressed to answer a call, and a red telephone that you pressed to end
the call. Pretty obvious really. the 102 doesn't. It has an unside down
bath symbol and what looks like a speedometer. They bear no
relationship
to making a call whatsoever. I am after over a year still not sure
which
one does what and often cuts people off instead of answering the
phone.But that doesnt happen much anyway, because its got a vodaphone
sim in, and there is **** all vodaphone coverage.

What a delight now me mate has gone home and I know that if I want the
internet, I have a well thougfht out Linux machine that actually works
with a reasonably sane user interface, and a telepone handset connected
to copper that always ring and always gets me connected to the person
am calling...

...Unless they have an I-phone of course.

Lol. Iphones are if anything better than the others in this respect.

Yep, much more consistent UI and much less configurable so you can't
end up with a situation where someone has accidently or deliberately
configured it so you can't work out what they have done easily.

Except if they change the language

It isnt hard to change it back to what you understand.

I have in fact been caught by that problem myself. It isnt hard to
accidentally turn the physical switch off and not realise you have
done that. And there is no obvious indication of that on the screen.

And you can't really blame the iphone for the fact that you didn't RTFM.

A device with as much effort put into the UI as iphones have had
shouldnt require you to RTFM to use them and iphones mostly
dont with stuff as basic as working out why it doesnt ring.

Mobiles are squarely marketed at kids, and are
a whole lot of fancy crap over functionality.

This clearly isnt an example of that.

I suppose that the phone UI isn't something that has been established
& settled over the years to the same extent that desktop winlin has.

In fact there is nothing even remotely like settled with the desktop UI.

XP is nothing like Win10.