Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Build my own power station

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I was watching the early development of electricity generation and
houses had their own coal fired generators before power distribution
became widespread.

Now is the time of year my fuel contracts come up for renewal; I can
get gas at less that 3p/kwH but my electricity supplier (soon not to
be) has upped their rate to nearly 14p/kwH which had me wondering
about the economics of using the cheaper gas to generate my
electricity.

ok, a bit t-i-c but it'd be fun having my own steam generator
(modified boiler?), turbine and generator. I recall a viable jet
engine (intended for VTOL some 45yrs ago) that could be picked up by
one person so a turbine needn't be too big.

The two retail prices are quite closely tied together.

Like hell they are. There's a reason most use
gas instead of electricity to heat their house.

If it were economical to generate electricity
locally from gas it would be done that way.

But when the gas price sags, and the price of electricity
increases do to the stupid scrapping of coal fired power
generation and the subsiding of 'renewable' ****, there
may come a time when what didn’t previously make
sense, does now make sense.

But a small generator is never going to be as efficient as a large
one - specially when capital and running costs are included.

Doesn’t need to be. ALL it needs to do is provide
electricity more cheaply than buying it does.