Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

philo news May 2017 10:12:49 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Even though my own machines are ancient, the ones I work on for
friends are typically new.

Yep. I know what you mean.

Some of the people I deal with are gamers and have to have the
latest and greatest.

Have you got much experience with liquid cooled rigs yet? And, I
don't mean simple water recirculation via a tiny radiator, either.
Although, those can be fun too.

Now, if you want to get serious about a rig, try for one of the
digital coin miners with multiple video cards, etc. That's some
insane ****. They're using the GPU(s) on the graphics cards for
massive number crunching, not gaming.

I've looked at some of those games, and other than visual effects,
graphics and sound, seem to be little different from those old DOS
games. LOL

I feel the same way. The eye candy does impress me though. I get
myself killed on the new first person shooters because i'm so
interested in taking a look around the scenary. Waving blades of
grass, dew drops on the grass. ****ing cool. Distracts me.

I have probably repaired more machines that you have...I don't
know... but I literally have repaired or built thousands of
machines. I've been doing this for about 17 years and at one time
had two or three machines on the the bench at a time.

I doubt it. My first honorary masters (I actually have two of these)
in Computer science and program design is a little shy of 22 years
old. My Novell cert is a little over 24 years old, and, My Comptia
certs are seventeen years old this June. I've got copyrighted
published (on shareware cdroms, no less; long before people could
burn their own) software prior to VX that's in the mid twenties age
wise, now.
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

it's not a complete collection mind you... but, you get the point.

The last version of my last virus family known as Irok is seventeen
years old next month. So, no, you've got no where near the experience
as myself, and, you haven't been doing it professionally for nearly
as long, either.

Two or three on the bench at once would have been a slow day in most
of the places I've worked. And, that doesn't include new builds
for clients, either. We had a seperate area for those. Not trying to
be nitpicky, but, I doubt you've seen as many boxes as I have.
Despite the decades you have on me. [g] You took a rather long
'break', and, I didn't.

FWIW: Thanks to getting surplus equipment from work, I have all on
one of several UPS...industrial grade.

Same. [g] Some of them I have scrapped out though, couldn't justify
the expense of batteries or new transformers. *shrug* Don't really
need the 6+ hours of runtime, have generators for emergency power
here, so...It was either, dump cash into a UPS that can't run my
house AND my workshop, or, have a couple of BIG generators that can,
without even stressing themselves. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to
see which is more cost effective in the long run.

Military surplus generators is what I'm writing about. Big *******s.
Makes lots of amps. [g] They do like the Diesel though. Oh, yes they
do. But, they can run on almost anything fuel wise, as their military
generators and, well, you can't always find a supply of diesel
depending on where you are.

I like Linux and it sure performs better than Windows on my very
modest H/W.

I feel the same way. It ****ing flies compared to any version of
Windows on the same hardware. New or old for that matter.

No. I use Windows mainly so I can gain familiarity and therefore
intelligently help others.

That's the only reason I still keep various flavors of Windows
running, myself. All but one lives in a VM on my linux machines
though.

I keep a number of versions of Windows in Virtual machines so I
can give people step by step instructions over the phone.

Win8 for example, I have not bare hardware installation.

This XP box doesn't either. [g] It's the only one that runs ANY
flavor of Windows native. Has a pile of hardware and very custom
software too.