Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Build my own power station

On 05/05/17 19:42, AnthonyL wrote:
I was watching the early development of electricity generation and
houses had their own coal fired generators before power distribution
became widespread.

Now is the time of year my fuel contracts come up for renewal; I can
get gas at less that 3p/kwH but my electricity supplier (soon not to
be) has upped their rate to nearly 14p/kwH which had me wondering
about the economics of using the cheaper gas to generate my
electricity.

ok, a bit t-i-c but it'd be fun having my own steam generator
(modified boiler?), turbine and generator. I recall a viable jet
engine (intended for VTOL some 45yrs ago) that could be picked up by
one person so a turbine needn't be too big.

Model aircraft turbines can be had BUT they are not very efficient.

And that's the problem. To turn that gas at 3p/kwh into electricity at
4p/kwh which is what a big CCGT plant does you need....well a big ccgt
plant!

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus