Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

On Fri, 5 May 2017 14:11:37 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/05/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2017 05:12:49 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/04/2017 07:40 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 20:38:50 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Never once had a BSOD and when I'd import XP drivers into Win2k
never a BSOD their either, but occasionally I'd have one that did
not work either

Alas, our experience differs by a wide margin too. You seem to be a
bit of a hobbyist. When you've serviced thousands of 'modern'
machines, get back to me.

Even though my own machines are ancient, the ones I work on for friends
are typically new.
Some of the people I deal with are gamers and have to have the latest
and greatest.

I've looked at some of those games, and other than visual effects,
graphics and sound, seem to be little different from those old DOS
games. LOL

Until Win10 came out, most of my more recent jobs were on Win8 machines
and confused owners. Once I put on Classic Shell, the folks stopped
crying. (One woman literally came over in tears because she could not
use her new computer.)

I have probably repaired more machines that you have...I don't know...
but I literally have repaired or built thousands of machines.
I've been doing this for about 17 years and at one time had two or three
machines on the the bench at a time.

FWIW: Thanks to getting surplus equipment from work, I have all on one
of several UPS...industrial grade.

Here are the batteries from my main UPS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7n6ywpqi6...ttery.jpg?dl=0

Now for a UPS battery bank that is JUST PLAIN SCARY. Get some proper
connection cables on that thing!!! And ballance you banks, for crying
out loud!! Your series-parallel connections with an odd number of
mismatched batteries is ridiculous.

That's and old photo , so that particular setup was retired

however...it was a 12v system and all those batteries were in parallel.

In parallel the battery ampere-hours do not have to match but in this
case they did. That said, all the amp. hours of the batteries were the
same...just different manufacturers.

I probably had seven days of backup power there and if I ever would have
discharged them I would have had to use an auxiliary charger.

In my workshop I now have one, 48V UPS and a 24V UPS

The batteries even match. All in all I have a total of five UPS systems
installed.

Since I have some lights on the UPS too, most of the time we have a
power failure I never even notice .

It is very rare to have a power failure more than a few hours, but we
once had one 24 hours, I operated my computer as much as I wanted, but
did have to go out for coffee.

What are you charging it with? and what kind of UPS is it? How long
does it take to recover after a power outage? It appears to be a 24
volt system - my small one is 48 volts and the big one is 60 volts.
(Powerware Prestige EXT) Both are dual conversion.

The one in the photo was manufactured by Best, now out of business.

I have a Best on my network equipment and phone - but not a Ferro.
Those Ferros were pretty innefficient unless you were using them as a
space heater ---.Best Power had a great system called the UBS - ever
see one of those in opperation??

Best Power was swallowed up by Eaton, who also swallowed up Exide,
into the "powerware" brand. WAY better stuff than APC (A Piece of
Crap)

It used a ferroresonant transformer so even though it was a single
conversion there was not one instant of drop out.

The only dual conversion UPS Ihad bit the dust about a year ago....it
was quite ancient.

I have 3 Powerware Prestige units - one of them an EXT. At the office
where I spent the last 16 or more years of mornings we have 4 of the
newer Powerware dual conversions - one of them an EXT with the big
battery pack. The TV boxes are on simple SOLA boxes and my wife's is
an "interactive" Powerware.
I find the APC Back-Ups units pretty much useless - - We have about
20 of them still in use at the factory where I spend 2 afternoons a
week - battery life is about a year, no matter what brand battery we
use (due in large part to heat or overcharging - the batteries are
usually swollen or split when removed)

I have not had a split battery in any of the Powerware units so far -
and the oldest ones are pushing hard at 23 years old now (new
batteries, of course) 2 are 1000kva and one is 650. The line
interactive is a 600, as is the old Best. The solas are S2K industrial
units - I think they are 450s.

The little one on my wife's system is a 24, and the one backing up my
internet modem and VOIP is a 12. Each of my TV cable boxes/pvrs are on
their own UPS as well.

They are all good for about half an hour, but for long-term outages
the natural gas option on my generator provides for virtually
unlimited run-time.

No generator here, the one 24 hour failure we had was an very odd situation

We have had 2 longer than 24 hours since we moved in here 36 years
ago. One was 3 days. We have had several longer than 2 hours - and if
those are in the winter having power for the furnace makes life a lot
more bearable and prevents frozen pipes. I can run the Genny on
gasoline or propane at full rated power - on Gasoline 'till I run out
of gasoline, on propane untill I run all 3 tanks dry - then on Natural
Gass at about 70% rated output virtually for ever on Natural Gas. I
might get around to running a bigger gas line which should allow full
output on NG as well.

Ice storms are the biggest threat here, followed by Tornados or
massive grid failure - which caused the "big one" in 2003.(overheated
transmission lines in Ohio, due to extreme power requirements due to
prolonged high temperatures, made worse by a poer plant failure etc
etc).
The "Storm of '98" was the other biggie - and that was in January. A
lot of houses had split pipes - and a lot of others didn't only
because homeowners drained the pipes before they froze - - or left
water taps running.