Posted to alt.home.repair
CRNG[_2_] CRNG[_2_] is offline

Default O.T. Reason(s) for all the store closures

On Fri, 5 May 2017 08:42:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote
in

On 5/5/2017 12:38 AM, Andy wrote:
I read where about 6800 "brick and mortar stores" will be closing in the U.S.

B4 I run to a store to buy something, I check online.

Often I can find the item for cheaper that a retail store and the shipping is free.

Is that because they don't have physical stores to maintain along with staff ?

Even though those stores will close, does that mean that more jobs will be created because of the savings that customers will realize ?

Best regards,

Andy

I'm sure some people studied it more than me, but here goes.

You lose the store jobs but gain some warehouse/order picker jobs. when
you ship rather than go to a store. You also gain some jobs in the
delivery system, US, Fedex, USPS.

Shoplifting in retail stores is very expensive and it is cheaper to
control employee theft.

Malls don't have the social attraction they once had. It is no longer
something to do on a Saturday. Society evolves and this is part of it.

I live in a rural area. The nearest WalMart is 20 miles away. For me
on-line shopping offers selection and convenience. Price is about the
same when comparing costs of driving with shipping.