Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT bank notification of debit card use, continued

On Thu, 4 May 2017 22:04:48 -0400, Nancy Young
wrote:

On 5/4/2017 9:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When you use a debit card in a gas station they do no know how much you
are going to pump. They put a hold on $XXX.xx in case you are going to
fill up a truck or camper. Once the actual charge comes through, they
adjust to the actual amount.

Yes, same deal. That is why it is not good to use a debit card for gas
stations and car rentals. They can tie up your funds for a while.

I had the same thing happen with a hotel, they reserve some amount
of money in case you charge things to the room or steal the towels,
whatever.

Of course, that was a credit card in my case. The pending charge
disappeared after a few days.

nancy

Serious questions:

Did the bank send you an email alert about the hold? (Well, do you
have it set up for email alerts at all?)

Did the alert call it a hold or use the same words they use for an
actual charge?

Did they send another email when the hold was lifted? Sending the
first but not the second is like sending a letter, "Your baby has been
kidnapped" and then never saying when your 2-month old child who can't
walk to a telephone and can't use a telephone is released.

Did the bank send an alert about the final actual charge from the
hotel?