NickW

Default using a shower unit to heat a swimming pool

Wanderer wrote in message . ..
On 23 Jul 2003 06:46:09 -0700, NickW wrote:

Heating by electricity will cost you a fortune! Even off peak economy
7 is about twice the price of oil.

How do you come to that conclusion? Do you have any figures to substantiate
your claim?

Off peak electricity 3.25 p per kWh
Oil is about 1.4 p per kWh

Oil boilers are less efficient than heating by electricity but even so
you can already appreciate the difference.

I use an 18kw flow boiler with my pool, (10,000 gallons) and that brings
it to a temperature of about 27 or 28C without any problem, at an annual
cost of about £300. With solar gain through the buble cover, the pool has
been at about 32 or 33C for the last five or six weeks.

I have an oil boiler too, I just prefer to use 'green' energy where
practical - and save some cash to boot.

Failing that, oil is best in terms of both cost and probably
green-ness too because of the efficiency loss associated with burning
coal in a power station, making electricity, transporting it through
substations etc. and converting it to heat at the other end.

Nick