Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default More of Mikes kittens

whisky-dave wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Rod Speed wrote

If you have several cats, a transparent one would
prevent them from both going through at once.

I'm not convinced.

Would video proof help convince you ?
https://youtu.be/gHNeKgu1k34?t=76

Thats not video proof of anything. You dont even have
any video of what happened with a non transparent cat
flap with the cat that gets there last noticing the flap moving
and realise that a cat is coming thru from the other side.

Notice how the cat jumps back when it sees my cat through
the transparant cat flap, notice how my cat waiting until the
other leaves before he goes through the cat flap.

Irrelevant to what would have happened in
that situation if the flap wasnt transparent.

As yuo might guess the video cature was using software which detected
movement which triggered the camera this also set off an audio warning
of 'intruder alert' a sound byte captured from a star trek episode.

So no need for a transparent cat flap unless its a deaf cat.

If my cat was in the same room as the computer when this triggered he
used to run down the hallway and down the back stairs to the cat flap.

Wouldnt work for Pete, he's got more than 6 cats
and the last thing he needs is them all charging to
the cat flap whenever any one of the cats uses it.

Quite apart from ending up even more barking mad
than he already is with the ****ing flap going off every
5 minutes when one of his cats needs to have a **** etc.

He's already rabid about the neighbours house
alarms that only go off every few weeks. The cat
flap would be smashed in an hour.

Once when ST was on Red alert came up he looked
around then went back to sleep as an intruder alert
and red alert must have sounded differnt.

He'll be picking your nursing home, you'll be soorree...

Why can't the cats see the flap moving and realise
that another cat is coming thru the other way ?

because it could be the wind or any other reason,

Even the most stupid cat can work out when the
wind is blowing, even if you can't manage that.

could be me teaching them how to use the
flap which is how I got my cat to use it.

So another cat avoids going thru that flap in that uncommon
situation ? Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

Or it could be another cat so best to stop it coming through

Not viable for Pete's cats.

Same reason as it happens with people. It doesn't move until
you push it. If person/cat A pushes the flap/door while person
cat B is too close to the other side, they get a busted nose.

Otherwise this could happen: https://youtu.be/1U1jSGib-NA?t=1m49s

Unlikely with cats.

They can see through doors?

They have good hearing so don't realy
as much as seeing as humans do.

And even you should have noticed that humans do manage
with no transparent doors quite a bit of the time.

I can only find two models. One lasts about
2 weeks, the other lasts about a year.

Mine would last as long as the house does.

I can't be bothered building one.

Why bother.

Because you get a much better result than
when someone fool like you got it built for them.

That would be an enormous catflap. No wonder you get burglars.

Is that how cat burglers got their name ?

Nope, that happened when those unspeakable chinks who
eat them showed up and harry burst another blood vessel.

What revolts me is my cat eats her kittens ****.

Certain fish eat the **** of thier offspring and it actually make
the adults live longer. They have also found that injecting adult
mice with the blood of young mice rejuvenated the older mice.

Its got nothing to do with intelligence, they evolved
like that. Just like cats did with kitten ****.

Eating a waste product is not a good idea.

It is for some animals where their digestive system doesn't remove
all that the food they eat provides it goes through a second time.

Nope, they clearly survive doing that fine.

I doubt they enjoy it.

What does that have to do with it, do you enjoy
brushing your teeth. Animals don;t need to do this.

They do only live for 15-20 years.

That's due to something else entirely.

If you know what it is, name it.

Size and DNA are part of it.
That;s why some insects live for a day and
some whales can live to over 500 years old.