Joseph Meehan

Default Cast Iron sewer -- Is it a hazard?

I would not replace with anything other than cast iron. It is long
lasting and quiet.

As for the rot from the inside out, sure, but then so do almost all
pipes. Even if that were not so, most pipes are buried in walls so you
could not see the outside anyway. That theory just does not hold water.

Now you are talking about 50 year old stuff. It may have another 30+
years life, but since you now have it exposed and it is that old, I would
consider having it replaced, but I would keep with the cast iron. Once
replaced, you will never need to worry about it in your life time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am hoping that some of the knowledgeable people on this group can
answer some questions regarding older cast iron drain stacks. Some months
ago our insurance was non-renewed because the insurance company refuses to
insure homes with cast iron in them. The reason given for this rule is

that
they "rot out from within and burst", we weren't even covered for sewer
backup/breakout under that policy anyways. Fast forward to now, we have a
new insurance company (a farm mutual), and their inspector didn't even

note
the cast iron drains even though he knew that was why the other company

had
dropped us.

Right now we are in the middle of renovations, and incidentally the
walls
that contain the stack are being re-cladded with drywall and as thus the
stack is currently fully exposed from basement to attic. If we were to
replace the cast iron with ABS, now would be the time to do it however I
doubt this is a task I could do myself. I imagine the cast iron is heavy
(even if half of it has rotted away) and well... it would not be a

pleasant
job. I have received a quote to replace it (materials+labour) for about
$900.

So the question has become, is it worth replacing? Is it really going
to spring a leak someday? Is it going to 'burst' like the first insurance
company said, or will it start as a slow leak and progress?

Some details: The total vertical section of the pipe is about 2

stories
plus attic, the pipe becomes horizontal at the basement ceiling and runs

for
about 15' until it drops down about a foot to the cast iron sewer that

goes
out to the septic tank. The pipe is probably about 50+ years old.

Thanks in advance

-- Steve

Note: Change TwoThousandAndThree into the proper numerical form to reply

me via email.