Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can I use Pizeo Tweeters, or????

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 21:36:37 UTC+1, wrote:
I have an older pair of Fisher 3 Way Speakers. They are good speakers,
except on of the tweeters is blown and sounds horrid. Fisher is out of
business, so I cant buy an original replacement tweeter.

I am looking on speaker websites and ebay, trying to find a replacement.

I realize that I will need to replace the tweeter in BOTH speaker
cabinets so they match.

Obviously I need something that will fit the hole in the cabinet. I also
need to match the impedense (8 ohm), and get tweeters rated at the same
of higher power rating for these cabinets, (each cabinet is rated at
120W).

I have heard that the Pizeo tweeters are good, and can handle a lot of
power, plus they are fairly inexpensive.

However, I may be wrong, but I recall hearing something years ago, that
the Pizeo speakers should not be connected to a crossover system, and
need to be run direct. (I do not know if this is correct).

These cabinets DO have a crossover.

Of the non-pizeo types, I am seeing a lot of terms that I dont fully
understand. There are "Bullet Horn Tweeters", "Titanium tweeters",
"Fluid Enhanced Voice Coil", and more....

Some have huge magnets and are rated at extreme wattages, like 1500W
(but I'm sure that highly exaggerated, and not true or RMS power).

Some also list the frequency range. I dont really know what the
crossover points are, and doubt I can really find that out.

My question is this: Do I need to be real critical, or will most any
tweeter work? I will avoid the Pizeo types if they wont perform properly
with the crossover.

Do the "Bullet" types perform better, or is that just a decorative
thing? What is Titanium? Is that the magnet type, or what?

I do intend to buy something that can handle power, since these speakers
do get driven hard at times.

One other thing, are there any brands to avoid, and any brands that are
considered to be the best? I'm seeing a lot of brands, but the brands I
see most are Pyle, Pyramid, Orien, Pioneer, AudioQuest and Alpine. (The
Alpine seem to all be for cars, but it probably dont matter what they
are used for).

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Piezos are not the 'junk' some opine, far from it. But they're not top of the tree either. If you're not spending lots of $ then piezos can deliver quite good performance at relatively low price. Their shortcoming is the frequency response is a bit uneven at the top end, but domes, cones etc aren't flat either.

They can be connected where your old tweeters were if you add an 8R resistor - piezos are high impedance devices, at least in their operating range. Always put a series resistor on piezos, 10R is ok. Otherwise the amp sees a capacitive load, and some are not ok with that.

Any type of tweeter comes in good & not so good variants. If I were buying blind (or deaf) for average consumer kit I'd be more likely to get a happy result from piezos than domes.

Crossover frequency is typically 1 - 4kHz.
Tweeters only handle somewhere vaguely in the region of 20% of a speaker's input power.

NT