Tim Keating

Default Solution to sewer tree root problem?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:15:35 -0400, Trent©
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:41:10 -0400, MAG
wrote:

The way the root killers is as follows, from what I've read:

1. Get the drains clean by mechanically "rooting them out."

2. Periodically use the Root Kill or Root X or whatever. The copper
sulfate is highly poisonous and inhibitory to new root
growth/infiltration.

So, it's unusual that it would actually fix an existing blockage, rather
it is a preventative. I agree with Roland that once the roots are in the
drain, it would probably take a lot more than copper sulfate to remove
the roots, at least for the kinds of trees that block my pipes!

Marc

Roots usually grow in from the top.

Root killers flow along the bottom.

Roots seek out water in sewer. Poison the water supply, no more
roots. Copper based paint compounds where once used as anti-fouling
coatings on the underside of boats. (Very effective, but that use
mostly banned for being too toxic).

Procedure.

Once sewer is opened and before your sewer line get's clogged up
again. Try some root kill, copper sulphate (blue) crystals, available
at Home Depot. Start off with large treatment, 1/4 bottle in clean
out, and a dissolved cap full each time you clean toilets.

Note: Keep toilet lid closed while dissolving CuS04 poison. Add
drop or two of liquid dishwashing/hand soap and you can use the
combination to replace commercial toilet bowl cleaner. Time the flush
of cleaning solution will have maximum time to work on tree roots
before being diluted by other household water use.

It keeps a nearby Strangler Fig (tree) out of my sewer line. :-)