Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Wed, 3 May 2017 12:25:05 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 2 May 2017 13:21:05 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
The engineers tried out my new tester on a fuel injection computer
and
blew it up when the protection Zener overheated and failed after a
few
load dump cycles. I think that's why they went to side terminal
batteries.

? What's the difference in transient voltage handling between top
and
side term batts? I thought the difference was merely physical
config.

Bummer on the quick trashing of your tester.

The fuel injection computer was destroyed, not my tester.

Oh, read that thinking the tester went tits-up.

The solder
holding a thick solid wire to the top of the stud-mount clamp Zener
melted and the wire popped off. The next high-voltage discharge
wrecked the module before I could run around the engineers and stop
it.

Oh, well. Who let them loose around a power switch, anyway?

Do side terminals corrode?

Yes, but they do so a bit less than the top post style. The real fun
is when someone uses an -open- end wrench on the 5/16" bolt head.
Luckily, most of the terminal bolts are made with large round heads
which permit channel lock pliers to be used on them. Insulated,
please.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!