Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Can I use Pizeo Tweeters, or????

On Wed, 3 May 2017 16:25:15 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 5/3/2017 3:56 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:36:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I have an older pair of Fisher 3 Way Speakers. They are good speakers.

These two statements are mutually contradictory.

You just couldn't restrain yourself could you? :-)

I used to work in a consumer electronics repair shop.
Authorized repair for about 100 brands, but we made a
lot of money on Fisher products.

Mikek

I recall back in the 80s I had a woman friend with a Fisher solid state
receiver. She had spent a lot of money getting that thing repaired when
she blew out the audio output ICs. A few months later she blew them
again. When she learned that I had previously worked on electronics, she
wanted me to fix it. At the time I did not have much left for test gear,
and I hated working on IC devices. But as a friend, I tried. Those ICs
were blown, along with some other diodes and stuff. I could not find
replacements for those ICs anyhow. I talked her into buying a separate
power amp. I cut the power to that output board, and she just used the
Fisher receiver as a tuner/preamp, and fed the sound to the new power
amp. I was NOT impressed by that receiver.

I never owned any Fisher tube gear, but I heard it was built well.
That's all I know about that, except it sells for big $$$ now.

As far as my Fisher speakers, they have decent 15" woofers, and sounded
good till I connected up my new 600W (300 per channel) commercial power
amp. I'm only running it at about 1/3 full power, and the woofers sound
great. The mids are ok too, but I blew that tweeter almost instantly.

However, I just learned why. I removed both tweeters and found that the
one that blew is a Radio Shack replacement rated at 25W. I guess there
is no need to explain this further, since I'm pumping at least 100W into
them and that was a 25W speaker....