Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default Antenna rotator question

Nice mess. In the daze of analog TV VSB (vestigial sideband), the
frequency of a TV channel was by the carrier frequency. This worked
because the signal was asymmetrical. Symmetrical modulation schemes,
such as FM, used the center frequency. SSB continued to use the
carrier frequency. Meanwhile, the FCC uses the center frequency for
most everything. Along came DTV, without a carrier frequency, so it
was decided to use the center frequency. That generally satisfied the
tech types.

I totally agree. I do have equipment that can measure BER and signal strength, but it was an early adopter sort of thing and not convenient to use.

So, rotators are really foreign to Samsung.

That tuner is just plain weird because I need the physical channel re-scan for virtual channels and it only reports the center frequency. In the ATSC specs there is a center frequency field and sometimes it's wrong.

The $1000 tuner can;t do Daylight Savings Time properly, nor can it do the EPG properly. Incidentally, this http://auroramultimedia.com/products/vtune-pro-4k/ is the high end tuner. It has other quirks too.

I think a big issue for them is cable cards fell out of favor or don't exist anymore.

It's grand scheme of things is to put the output on an IPTV/RF modulator so I can watch on my laptop. I just haven't got there yet.

As another ASIDE (sorry), I want a way to take analog L/R and upconvert to AC3 5.1 in a "Audio Only" TV mode over HDMI, so I can put an AM/FM tuner on an ATSC channel.