Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Wed, 03 May 2017 05:29:21 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 3 May 2017 00:03:54 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-05-01, wrote:

[ ... ]

New battery clamps or lead foil shims. Even other metal shims may
work, but lead foil works best. I have in the past, while working
where you could not easily get ANY parts, pounded out a lead weight
into a small sheet to shim a loose battery clamp.

Once, I happened to be at a local drive-in restaurant at the
same time as some co-workers who could not start their car. With the
hood open, it was obvious that it was the battery clamp and the terminal
in the battery itself. As a quick work-around, I drove a fat wood screw
into the line between the clamp and the terminal, with the advice to get
it replaced soon.

Great minds think alike. BTDT on a dark road once.

I've had cars come in with several screws and nails corroded off in
the clamp.