Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Tue, 2 May 2017 15:53:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

The engineers tried out my new tester on a fuel injection computer
and
blew it up when the protection Zener overheated and failed after a
few
load dump cycles. I think that's why they went to side terminal
batteries.

The Chevy Vega had side terminals in 1976. There was DARN little
electronics in that car. There was a module to shut off the air
cond when
the alternator was not producing, a timer on the rear window
defroster,
probably a VERY simple electronic ignition (I don't remember points
on that
one) and the radio. I don't think it even had intermittent wipers.
That
was it, and it was all analog stuff.

Jon

The fuel injection computer was for the 76 Seville. Since I worked for
a supplier of production test stations I saw developmental items
before they reached consumers.

It sounds as if you had a really fun job.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!