Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default Work Safe - NOT

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 2:44:48 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/05/2017 17:07, Mark wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Just spotted a couple of guys, with a signed up Transit, doing some
pointing on a semi gable end wall, type where the wall continues up to the
roof apex and pointing right up to the apex. Two double extension ladders
leaning against the wall, with metal brackets at the top, so as to support
a walk board level. The walk board like an alloy ladder, but filled by a
board. A third double extension to climb up to working level on.

No safety ropes, no kick boards nothing and there they were pointing at
the apex down. It made me cringe to just watch them.

They were called suicide brackets years ago

aka a "Ladder Cripple"

(you can still get posh versions that have added guard rails etc)

http://www.ladderstore.com/high-leve...m-5-metre.html

Blimey, £700 and ladders and stabilisers (and toe board) not included?! I like the comment in the review "Don't forget to charge your customers as if you had hired it and then you will be well in profit." I'll remember that next time I get an estimate for work done on my house, I'll want to see the price for hiring of staging, etc.!

On a similar subject, I spent a couple of hours last weekend perched on the very top step of an aluminium ladder with a long handled brush in one hand and a hose in the other, cleaning the mossy crud off the top of a caravan. T'was a bit wobbly...