Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default Antenna rotator question

I like the first users comments:
"Having a rotating antenna was not the solution because
with today's digital tuners, every time you rotate the
Antenna, you must rescan your channels."
I guess he doesn't know how to manually add channels.

That's not as far-fetched as you would think.

with current Samsung so called "Smart TV's" it's not possible to add a channel. I have confirmation from Samsung.

USUALLY you can use the remote to select the physical channel and the TV will tune to the first virtual channel on that frequency. This is the preferred way the US government would like it to work. Channel up/down will then tune the sub-channels.

I don;t yet have confirmation that an unscanned channel works that way, but I think it will.

I have a TV tuner that will not work that way at all. It reports the actual center frequency in MHz of the scanned channels, not the physical channel, but you need the physical channel to add a single channel. You basically "scan" the physical channel and add. This "stupid" $1000 tuner won;t even update the display when entering a channel digit. The on-screen display shows the remote entered digit. The display on the tuner does not.

A CECB I have allows one to add "scanned" channels to the existing scan.