Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On 5/2/2017 1:34 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 11:57:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Luckily I had
purchased a few sets of the lovot blocks and other parts fron the
manufacturer when I bought the windowsn(I worked for the dealer) so I
was able to replace the swollen blocks. No amount of soaking in
alcohol or any othe substance was effective in returning the block to
the proper size. No idea what kind of plastic it was- but it sure
didn't like WD-40.

I've heard of certain materials that swell in the presence of oils. Maybe it wasn't the solvent in the WD but the mineral oil it contains. IOW, any spray with mineral oil might have had the same effect.

Does it really matter which component of WD-40 causes the problem or if
other products cause the same problem? The point is that WD-40 is not a
good product to use on electrical devices unless you know the materials
won't be affected by it.

Some people here are in denial about the issue and refuse to consider
that anything other than their own personal experience constitutes
reality. You seem a bit more reasonable.

--

Rick C