Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Tue, 2 May 2017 16:02:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

The engineers tried out my new tester on a fuel injection
computer and
blew it up when the protection Zener overheated and failed after
a few
load dump cycles. I think that's why they went to side terminal
batteries.
The Chevy Vega had side terminals in 1976. There was DARN little
electronics in that car. There was a module to shut off the air
cond when
the alternator was not producing, a timer on the rear window
defroster,
probably a VERY simple electronic ignition (I don't remember points
on that
one) and the radio. I don't think it even had intermittent wipers.
That
was it, and it was all analog stuff.

Jon

Well, having the battery in the trunk seemed to solve a lot of
problems in my 1958 Alfa Romeo. g It was nice and clean back
there, and cool. However, the cable that ran forward used a lot of
copper.

As for electronics, I did have to replace a couple of vacuum tubes
in the Blaupunkt radio...

There is a lot of virtue in simplicity.

--
Ed Huntress

I've closely examined a disassembled 1910-ish Maxwell in a private
collection. Mechanically it's like a 4-wheel bicycle. That stuff is
fun to play with as long as you don't have to depend on it.

Same goes for a 1928 Chevy, an old "A-Bone" or "T-Bone" or a 1949
Beetle. A 1953 MG fits pretty well too - - -