David Hearn

Default OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Witchy wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:01:14 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Not the most appropriate news group, but certainly the most well
informed bunch of people.

I feel like I'm going crazy - the whole world is telling me I
should be buying TFTs, yet I still want to buy high quality flat
tube CRTs.

Am I alone in this? Am I the only one who finds that the finer
dot pitch, the higer light output and the faster screen response
of a good CRT ****es all over that of a TFT (which may have cost
twice as much)? Am I the only one who doesn't care that a 19"
CRT takes up a large amount of room, and consumes 50W more than
a 17" TFT??

Like others are saying it all depends on cost and application. A
couple of years ago before the technology was cheap enough for the
great unwashed I was lucky to be given a 19" Compaq TFT screen that at
the time cost £1600! It maxed out at 1280x1024@75hz and I decided it
was the best screen I'd ever used. Then the company went bust and I
never saw it again :-/

These days the components etc used in TFT screens must be ****-ola
'cos every one I've seen at 'consumer' level has been blurry and had
shockingly bad picture quality - the 17" one the Missus uses at work
is so bad it gives me headaches after 5 minutes. The 15" ones on her
Compaq desktops are OK however, but only 15".

No good for me 'cos I'm using 1600x1200 at home, but I'd love to see
the screen on the 17" titanium Mac Powerbook

But remember - the 17" powerbook only does 1440x900. 900 pixels high is
pretty poor, and the 1440 wide is poor for a widescreen display when you
consider they need to add horizontal pixels to make up the extra width.
Compared to a 4:3 aspect display, its worse than 1280x1024 (but better than
1024x768).

For comparison my 3 year old Dell (non-widescreen) does better with
1440x1050 in 15" (4:3)! The new Dell Inspirons (widescreen - hence weird
horiz res) are doing 1280x800 standard, 1680x1050 for extra £30 and
1920x1200 for extra £80 (currently discounted to +£60).

I can't believe that the 'new spec' iBooks only come with 1024x768
regardless of physical display size.