Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On 02/05/17 10:09, Phil Allison wrote:
Micky wrote:
I have this vague recollection that WD-40 is good to clean electric
contacts?? Either that or it's bad for them.

** WD40 is excellent at making bad contacts good again.
Switches, connectors and pots are all examples.
.... Phil

I've been meaning to thank you for telling us that some months back.

In my Yamaha A-520 stereo amp, I've been putting up for several
years now with a noisy/intermittent balance pot for several years.
Only one channel working most of the time, and when you finally
get both to work, one was significantly louder than the other.
It looks like a big job to disassemble it enough to replace.

A quick squirt of WD-40 and it seems as good as new.
I wouldn't have done it on anyone else's recommendation.

Clifford Heath.