Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black,white and green wires

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 8:57:21 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/01/2017 07:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:22:15 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/01/2017 05:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 9:46:17 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

Ok perfectionist you are right!

It's less about being a perfectionist and more about making sure we give the
OP the correct information. The main point of my response - other than the
P.S. of course ;-) - is exactly what Greg said:

"We are far from having enough information to do more than offer a wild
assed guess."

Especially since he did not mention and white wires.

Read the subject line.