Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On 2017/05/01 3:50 PM, wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 5:51:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
WD-40 does not completely evaporate over time unless the temperature
is higher than that which is compatible with human life.

No, it does completely evaporate. That 'leftover' is the previous skunge dissolved and spread over everything.

To prove this out:

Take a standard paper towel, clean and dry.
Saturate it in WD-40.
Leave it on a clean surface in a location in your domicile exposed to normal temperature variations.
Check it in 4-20 days depending on ambient temperatures.

Don't take my word for it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I have a bit of trouble with your test, Peter. If it left no residue
then WD-40 couldn't prevent rust on tools (which was all it was only
designed to do).

Instead of your paper towel, pour some WD-40 on a sheet of glass and let
it sit and evaporate for a while and see what remains.

There MUST be some sort of residue.

My shop's experience is WD-40 plus oil = glue/goo.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com