Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Mon, 01 May 2017 14:49:33 -0700, etpm wrote:

On Mon, 1 May 2017 05:21:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Speaking of old tractors, I can't get a good contact to the battery
terminal on my old Ferguson. I cleaned the post and connector off with
a (3M) green scrubbie, but when I clamp it together and push the starter
button I get a puff of smoke from the terminal as I vaporize some small
section of lead where the terminal connector meet. Is there some goo or
other tricks I can use?

George H.

I just went through this George. Cleaned battery clamp with the wire
brush made for this. No go. Got out my pocket and went at the inside of
clamp. There was a very hard oxide coating on the inside of the clamp.
It shines up nice with a wire brush but doesn't conduct electricity
worth a damn. After scraping this hard coating off, and you can
certainly tell it's hard because it almost chips off, I could feel the
knife blade dig into soft lead. After scraping the inside it was nice
and bright and the old tractor spun right over. With a 6 volt battery.
Probably the same as your old beast.
Eric

I've had that happen. Yup. Scrape it out with a pocket knife.

Someone mentioned a proper tapered reamer to do this. Maybe it's good if
you live in the city...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services