Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_79_] Steve[_79_] is offline

Default Anyone ever built an Island-like Range Hood?

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 9:20:10 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

Steve, I see big problems ahead for you, One is you will need to call
Nutone and see that their fans can handle cfm wise per sq foot of open
hood space. Then you also have to factor that in with the height above
the range, between the range and opening of the hood. Otherwise the
fan might work great, it will not draw off the heat and fumes,
rendering the hoods efficiency pretty low.

Also, most all hoods I ever worked on were lined with copper or
stainless steel so they would be washable and inherently flame
resistant. A wood hood is bad as it will soak up grease, oils, and
vapors off the food products, and will also penetrate the wood over
time increasing its flammability.

Regarding filters or grease traps, the framing for those must be
metal, since with heat and grease build up on either traps or filters,
the grease runs downhill and needs a place to collect it and be
cleaned frequently. The edge of the hood should also have a trough
like this.

|_| so that the grease and oils trapped on the hood surace can run into
it and stop any possible dripping onto your stove or in your cooking
utensils. Essential if you do any heavy cooking. The trough can have a
slotted drain cup to pull out and clean in between major clean ups.

The of course there is the issue of lighting, covers on hot bulbs so
that they do not inadvertently ignite from the grease caught on them
while the lights are off. Turn on the lights, heat up and possible
fire. Not often, mind you, but it is a safety issue.

Your local sheet metal shop can fabricate a liners or copper, or SS,
with holes already cut for your duct, fans, lights, or electrical
connectors for you lights, complete with trough around the edges and a
5 degree slant to the drain trap box for easy cleanup. The can also
build a filter or grease trap frame for whatever you decide to use.

It can be done, just get your spec's before you design and build.

By all means call NuTone or check their web site for info, or similar
manufacturer, it is not a guessing games, Exhaust fans are rated by
duct size and length as it has to be able to pull free air and push it
through the ductwork. Measured is static inches./cfm

Thank you very much, OFWW-- you've given me a ton of great info, and a lot more to consider here. I'll call the Manufacturer and I'll see where that takes me. I hate the idea of having a shining stainless steel thing in my 1912 kitchen; but I'll definitely talk to my local sheet metal co. and see what my options look like.

thanks again,

Steve