Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Old tractor and battery terminals

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 9:18:20 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 1 May 2017 05:21:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Speaking of old tractors, I can't get a good contact to the battery
terminal on my old Ferguson. I cleaned the post and connector off with
a (3M) green scrubbie, but when I clamp it together and push the starter
button I get a puff of smoke from the terminal as I vaporize some small
section of lead where the terminal connector meet. Is there some goo
or other tricks I can use?

The puff is at the battery, between the terminal and post, right?
The smoke indicates vaporized lead from a whole bunch of current
trying to go through a small area of post/terminal. It indicates that
you either didn't clean it properly or the connection is loose. Are
you -sure- the terminal is tightening properly on the battery post?

Right, The dang thing is as tight as I can make it. The terminal is
pretty old... weak/"distressed" on the edges maybe. I was think of
just buying a new terminal/

Sometimes the post is worn down by cleaning and the terminal doesn't
tighten onto it. If that's the case, remove the terminal, remove the
clamping bolt, and run a hacksaw between the ends to remove material.
Reinstall the clamping bolt and try again. There should be a gap at
the terminal end where the clamping bolt goes through. If not, saw
some more.

Yeah I've done that... not the problem in this case.

I have used several methods over the years to reduce corrosion between
the two, but I have always used round brush (or blade-type) terminal
end cleaners to get bright lead for the contact surfaces. The oiled
felt pads under the terminals can reduce corrosion, but I used to use
wheel bearing grease to cover both the terminal and post. Now I use
the spray terminal protector. It's usually red, so I'm sure you've
seen it. I clean and tighten the two, then spray with protectant.

Right, (thanks) I'll stop at Napa or some place and let them sell me
some gunk.

George H.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!