Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

In article ,
says...

Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

The first step is to try and determine if the black wires are fed from
the same breker.

Turn off one breaker or remove one fuse at a time to find out if only
one or if both of the black wires have power. This shold tell you if
they are fed from the same source.

You did not mention any white wires which you should have.

YOu did not say anything about the red wires having power. Normally for
recepticals black is one side of the 240 volts, red is the other and
white is the neutrral. Check from the black to the red wire to see if
you have the nominal 240 volts. If so Do the same breker off thing to
determine if they are fed from the same source.

If no power on the red wiires, you can try going back to the breaker box
and seeing if for some reason the red wires were used for the neutral,
which should never be done.