Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default fire extinguisher state of the art

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:07:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For home or business, I think the local code may decide what is to be used, including smoke alarms and such.

The code, here, doesn't mandate, or have specifics for, extinguishers for hobby shops or out-buildings, so, in the shop, I can use any that works..

Sonny

How do you know what will work? Have you run any tests? ;-)

No. I simply commented as per my uneducated, but expert-advised, knowledge.. A friend, who's in the business, asked me to build a bistro table and, in exchange, gave me some out-of-code extinguishers, for my shop. There is no regulations or specific requirements for the shop scenario. As long as they worked, they were sufficient for the shop, as per his advice, and I can certainly trust his expert advice. *He was happy with the bistro table, also.

Our table-extinguisher deal was negotiated about the time I purchased a used flammables cabinet. For a long time, I was concerned with the exposed flammables, in the shop. For larger shops, even hobby shops, I'd recommend a flammables cabinet, to complement any fire prevention measures.

So, it was with these thoughts in mind, that I commented to EC, who asked for a "style" (sic) recommendation, and not something more specific.... at least as for as I understood. Personally, I had questioned his actual concern for advice, in the matter, as compared to other "random" threads he's started, but I do appreciate the subsequent info and comments others have made.... good advice for all of us.

Sonny