Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Computer tower

On 4/29/2017 8:12 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:22:20 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/29/2017 5:59 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I broke My mobo some time back and was given a Dell with W8 and all
the goodies. I managed to get W10 installed, and after getting used to
all the new bells and whistles, it gets the job done.
Now I want a fresh computer that is moe compact and it looks like I
have several choices in new gear. A laptop, tablet, ETC so what would
twist your short and curlies...a laptop or tablet?
I have a laptop that came with My data loging software and hardware,
and am not willing to use it for any other purpose.

What raises an eyebrow for you???

For me , neither. I want a full size keyboard and a large 20 or more
inch screen. Laptops are for carrying around , but for fixed usage I
will stay with the desk top unit.
I don't see how anyone can get any serious work done on a tablet unless
you get one of those with the detachabel keyboard.

Same for me. It depends on your age and personal preference. Lot of
people do their computing on smart phones and I watched someone typing
on one the other day. Too dinky for this old guy. A few years ago I
bought my wife a laptop so she could use it anywhere in the house.
First thing she bought was a full size keyboard and mouse for it. She
also got an iPad and bought the keyboard for it but seldom uses it.

I have a cheap tablet and it is cute but nothing to do any serious work
on. Programs are truncated because of limited memory.

If you really think you NEED a pad, get a Microsoft Surface. Pricy,
but it is an excellent pad computer that is also an excellent laptop.
I don't count it as a serious business computer although for a "road
warrior" with lots of money they ARE an option.

Not sure what I'd have if I were still working and traveling 1-2 months
a year.

Today I still do a little on-line in home consulting and stick with
Microsoft Windows products to keep in line with clients. I even had to
buy MS Office a few years ago because client could not see embedded
images in docs prepared on Open Office or Libre Office.