Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default fire extinguisher state of the art

On 4/29/2017 7:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in newse2gq4$ajg$1
@dont-email.me:

current exitinguisher is old and have never used it

thinking about an upgrade but have not kept up with latest trends

what is the preferred style these days

I've got to wonder if that style that you could charge with shop air is
still around. It seems to me that as long as the chemical stays good,
shop air would be easy to maintain. Just keep it by the door and glance
at the gauge as you go out, and when it gets low just recharge it. (All
seals leak over time.)

If you define "over time" as eons, perhaps. If not, I can counter your
"All seals leak over time" with the 10lb Ansul ABC sitting in my
unheated garage. That went in service (or last inspected/charged)
November 1986.

Local service guy (fireman moonlighting) told me so long as it stays in
the green zone or slightly above AND you shake or invert it a couple
times every year or so it will do its job. If the chemicals get wet and
cake up it will not work regardless of holding pressure. If the service
tech does it properly, the air used to charge it has been through a
dryer and it won't cake up.

It's still ready to rock and roll after 31 years. Had another one with
a good 23 years on it. Accumulation of cut grass and crap on the mower
caught fire and SWMBO came running in the house screaming the mower was
on fire. It was but that extinguisher worked just fine after 23 years.