Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default 350 chevy motor

Sat, 29 Apr 2017 18:24:24 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 08:36:51 -0500, philo
wrote:

On 04/28/2017 09:54 PM, George Fields wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor,
so I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to
sending the old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting
in my garage since then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing
what they will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular
engine anymore, but I thought I would ask you what you think
it's worth, so when I go there I can know if I'm getting a good
price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Total guess, $50

The type of motor would not determine the price, just the weight

That's where you guys are wrong. IF it is a 4 bolt main block,
which many pickup 350s were, and the block is still good for a
rebore, a well aged block ALONE can be worth over $1000 to the
right guy. The steel crank would be worth another couple hundred -
and depending on the heads, perhaps another $300 each.

Many trucks in canada, maybe. You can't just assume it's a 4bolt main
without popping the crank caps off the bottom or running the serial
number on the block. If it is a true 4bolt, it's worth a grand or
more, depending on the buyer. If it's a marine block, even more!

Do not assume it's a 4bolt main even if you pulled it from a truck.
Check to be sure. 4bolts aren't as common as you seem to think they
were. Those were tougher engines, and, you paid for that.