Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 350 chevy motor

In article , says...

I once owned a '70 Chevelle with a 350 and that sucker kicked ass.

I had a much newer company car with a 350 and with all the pollution
controls it was a real dog. Of course by those days I was done with
street racing.

Sounds like what hapened to me. I had a 69 Dart swinger 340. Ran very
well for just a stock car. Someone ran a stop sign and I hit them. It
was a low speed crash, but the front hit, then the driver side,and
finally the rear end. Not really that much dammage,but almost all the
sheet metal was bent so the insurance totaled it. I bought a 72 Dodge
Demon with the same motor. I just ordered it. Don't thing that can be
done any more. When I drove it home it felt sick. I opened the hood
and expected to find a six cylinder engine. Nope, eight spark plugs. I
did a little research and found that the engine was in the polution
control days. The compression had been lowered from 10:1 to about 8:1,
and other things done to it. That piece of crap would hardly start and
several times it would not start, had to be towed in. I finally traded
it in with less than 20,000 miles on it.