Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default 350 chevy motor

On 4/29/2017 1:24 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 08:36:51 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/28/2017 09:54 PM, George Fields wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Total guess, $50

The type of motor would not determine the price, just the weight

That's where you guys are wrong. IF it is a 4 bolt main block, which
many pickup 350s were, and the block is still good for a rebore, a
well aged block ALONE can be worth over $1000 to the right guy. The
steel crank would be worth another couple hundred - and depending on
the heads, perhaps another $300 each.

I of course made the assumption scrap only.

But you are right, a 350 would be worth rebuilding.

I once owned a '70 Chevelle with a 350 and that sucker kicked ass.

I had a much newer company car with a 350 and with all the pollution
controls it was a real dog. Of course by those days I was done with
street racing.