Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Computer problem solved

In article om,
says...

On 4/29/2017 6:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/28/2017 11:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

When doing work you can recover your cost it is often better to pay more
for an item and get the customer going.

When working a large motor speed control quit. The factory repair main
replaced 2 large diodes. There were 3 of them as this was a 3 phase
system. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they were $ 50
each. I told him I don't care as it was costing up about $ 1000 an hour
to be down plus your charge to come back in if needed. It may not need
changing, but why take the chance.

Exactly. If two of the three crap out, what are the odds?

exactly. If you have a car with a timing belt, it is often just the
cost of parts to replace the water pump at the same time. There are a
lot of situations like that. $10 or $40 now rather than $500 if it
breaks next week.

LOL! You own a Honda too, eh?

I had a Toyota and it is about the same. An independant garage did all
my work at one time. The fellow just happened to have a car similar to
mine on the lift and the covers off so he could show me the water pump
was behind the timming belt that needs replacing every 70 or so thousand
miles. He said he only charges the price of the pump to change it out
while changing the belt.