Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Best way to clean gas tank while in tractor?

wrote:
More 9N stuff. The gas tank has crud in it. I don't know how much but
there is enough to mostly clog the outlet. The old fuel in the tank
just dribbles out. After I get the clog removed and the tank drained
I'm thinking about using a pressure washer to clean the tank insides.
While the tank is in the tractor. I have a 90 degree fitting for my
pressure wand that would allow getting all the insides washed down.
Suggestions? Opinions?
Thanks,
Eric

Not really worth the effort. Take the tank off. Dump a couple gallons of
phosphoric acid in it and let it set in various positions so the acid
can eat the rust away. Order some KwikPoly (
http://kwikpolyllc.com/)when
you put the acid in. Now drain the crud/acid out. Mix some baking soda
and water and slosh it around to neutralize the acid. Now stick the tank
out in the sun to dry, or warm it with a heat gun. Now mix a batch of KP
and pour it in. You won't need a lot. Move it around so you coat the
entire interior. Clean the threads for the outlet very well and let the
stuff cure. (I like to color it red or blue so you can tell it's coated)
I have yet to find a fuel or additive that chemically damages this stuff
once it's cure.

--
Steve W.