Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Computer problem solved

On 4/28/2017 5:15 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:36:15 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/28/2017 1:53 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 04/28/2017 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:
On 4/28/2017 12:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
A few days ago I was commenting that one of the "new" computers
I just built was continuously crashing and having problems . Sent
the motherboard
back to the vendor , who tested it and found it was bad . New board
on the
way . I used the same board in another comp , and it runs great ,
stable and
doing well . I'll be glad to get everything organized and settled
again . New RAM is on it's way from HK so I can max out both
comps . I like the
vendor , he/they messaged me asking questions about the motherboard
and processor . They wanted to be sure their RAM is compatible with
my equipment
before they shipped it . I like that , and it's probably at least
part of the reason they have a 100% satisfaction rating . Vendor is
computex_tech on
ebay .
--
Snag

I've bought all my memory from Crucial and never had a problem. They
have a program you can use to check compatibility with your machine.

If I work on a machine for someone else, I usually go for the best
parts possible...but for one of my own machines, at least one that is
not critical, I sometimes take chances.

On eBay I saw some super cheap RAM ...from China...that said it would
only work with an AMD CPU. Since I had a few machines with AMD
processors that needed more RAM I decided to order some...it was only
$2 a stick.

When I placed the order they did not process it at first ...they
emailed me to make sure I understood it was AMD only and only after I
told them I understood...did they process the order.

One of the sticks was bad and when I informed them I told them that
for $2 they need not send a replacement but to my surprise they
immediately refunded $2.

The rest of the RAM has been running fine for about a year now...

I suspect the RAM was cheap simply because they did not have a quality
control department.

Bottom line though, I was dealing with China and they were pretty good
about their dealings.

I've had both good and bad dealings with Chinese merchants . Some bend
over backwards to please , others act like you've insulted their family for
the last 3 generations by even hinting that their product is less than
perfect .

I think it is a crap shoot looking for cheapest stuff. I've never
shopped ebay but my brother-in-law has bought stuff for my wife which
turned out to be crap. Chinese stuff might be good or bad and US stuff
may even be the same but quality control should be better and they
filter out the bad. Worth paying for.

I've had at least as much trouble buying chinese crap from american
suppliers as from Chinese. The pros? Faster shipping from US resellers
(when they have stock)
Cons? Pay 4 or 5 times as much, PLUS shipping. Don't know how the
Chinese can ship half way around the world for free on a 50 cent part
that costs me 5 or 6 bucks from Texas or California, plus 9 bucks or
more for shipping - - - -

As far as computers are concerned, I've given up building them - I
buy ready built with a warranty and I keep my hair!!!

I buy glasses on-line from Zenni Optical in China. Wife criticized me
for not buying here but I showed her glass case from pair costing 7X as
much in US and it said, "Made in China".