Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reclaimed

Rain is a given this time of year. When you say that rain will ruin
it, do you mean if it's submerged or if it just gets (good and) wet?
If it's hanging on the wall, will a good rain ruin it?

No. If it is hung on the wall with rain draining off it, you can paint it after about 10 days of drying if completely soaked. But if just a good sprinkle, usually when it looks dry it is ready to go.

I was trying to hit the point that the lumberyards/suppliers stack it horizontally in open weather most of the time, and when rained on repeatedly, it can sustain irreparable damage.

https://goo.gl/wCKCfG

Regardless, with primer only you can paint with confidence if you have warm, dry weather for 30 days after you hang it when it has been wet. The same porosity that causes absorption allows it to dry out well. As a matter of fact, if I install during our more iffy weather season, I put it up, wait two week/ten days then paint knowing it could have caught some water at the material yard.

30 days is a rather long dry spell to arrange. ;-)

Depending on the time of year, here, too.

It would be nice to have a helper but this is a solo project.

Then if that was me, I would separate the tasks depending on the availability of room. I would paint as much as possible as the cleanup time required (dictated on the material painted)for the rollers, brushes, paint stirrer (mine is always on a drill), etc., takes much longer than simply pulling in the compressor and rolling up the cords at the end if the day. I wouldn't want to clean paint equipment more than twice a day.

If you are hanging the long pieces by yourself, make a "J" shaped hanger to attach to the farthest stud you siding will reach to hold the other side of the material until you work your way to it. If you make it right, you can screw it to the stud at the joint, then when you are about 4' away, you can swivel it on the screw to swing it out of your way before you nail.

To see how to do a proper butt joint, check this guy out. He (no pun intended...) nails it perfectly, except for the fact he uses galvanized steel.. You can also see that it is stiff enough to mess up the piece that lays over the butt, too. Important to note that while me didn't use a nail and relied on friction to hold the metal in place, the next course wound up with a nail in the flashing to make sure it stayed in place.

Am I missing a link?

Ooops....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcw-9SfSxzo&t=205s

I still can't believe he uses galvanized metal, for all the reasons described above. Technique, great. Materials used, fail.

It's not that big. I've done that much cedar, though I was a few
years younger. ;-)

I do a lot of physical labor during my normal course of work from time to time, and my goodness... what a difference 40 years makes on the old frame.

Sure, I'll try to remember.

--Keith

Hope so! A smaller amount of siding than your project, say an entryway or storage room is a doable project for some handy guys and DIY folks. Pictures of your work might be worth a thousand explanations, even if there are few replies.

Robert