View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Antenna rotator question

Lenny:

Contact me directly, if you want to see pics of an outdoor eve install HD-8200U that isn't going anywhere. The antenna's are larger these days.

Although I used an Eagle Aspen ROTR-100 and a bearing that both aren't available anymore, I'm really happy with the install.

I didn't quite finish the install in terms of the minor details. The Rotor has a North position and you have to decide if your going to magnetic or real north so, I'm not calibrated yet.

I put the rotor on top of a stainless split collar,so the rotor can be rotated after the fact

I used Black oxide collars for temporary aides to install the antenna. All U-bolts are stainless. The guys are non-metalic and made of Phillystran and the hardware (like turnbuckles) is mostly 316 Stainless

There are two types of gold annodizing and one is really bad.

Two things that I would do differently a Use a fiberglass mast on the antenna side of things and powder coat a couple of the clamps on the rotor.

You MUST use anti-seize for the stainless bolts. I used a small piece of siameze RG-6 satellite wire from the antenna to inside. The Eagle Aspen controls the rotor via Coax. I chose not to put the antenna on the same coax.

The Aspen rotates like 460 degrees, so it prevents having to go all the way around at times.

There is also 99 presets. Enough for every channel.

So, that's what I have to do: Orient properly so TVfool agrees and set the presets to the channels. I want to do an an antenna combine with a single channel antenna and get a custom combiner made and installed.

An IR to RF repeater works fine. There are lots of ways to do multi IR including over Ethernet.

The "bad thing" about this rotor is that the displayed position is the "desired position", not the current position unless the motor is stopped.

But this particular unavailable rotor has an index so it will never get out of sync.