Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:26:54 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:25:00 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/26/2017 02:22 PM, Tekkie? wrote:
On 26-Apr-2017, wrote:

Many cars no longer have a key. Now people park them in the garage
under the bedroom and leave them running. A few people have been killed
from it.

Cite please.

It would be possible if the engine shuts down automatically when the
transmission is in Park, and restarts when put into gear. I have herd of
that.

I'd still expect some kind of key so someone else doesn't take your car.
A key could be a combination, RF device, of even biometric.

RFID fobs are common - and commonly left in the car in locked
garages. Absentmindedly leaving the fob in the car and not holding the
dtart button for 10 seconds to shut it down lets it run untill the
tank is smpty. Auto start-stop less of a problem as it shuts down
when you walk away.

There is a bug in the Cadillac software on ~2011 models that does not
antomatically turn off all the stuff when you walk away with the fob.
We never did figure out exactly what the failing sequence was but it
happened to my father in law a lot. He took it back to the dealer a
dozen times for a "dead battery" problem and even after I figured out
what was happening, there was no joy. They replaced the ECU and some
other parts but I still think it is software.
One day he was here, I put his fob in the refrigerator and went out
and started his car after charging the battery. The battery had died
here. I noticed right away AC blower was running on low and the dash
was lit up.
I think it has to do with the software feature that allows the radio
and windows to be active until you open the drivers door after you
turn the car off but once you finally get things turned off with the
fob present, it works normally until you get back into the failure
loop. With the fob not present, the accessory circuit and starting
circuit stays on no matter what you do. He did have a habit of sitting
in the car for a while screwing with the radio/DIC after he turned the
engine off.
About the time I was zeroing in on duplicating the problem, he traded
it.