Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
analogdial analogdial is offline

Default What actually Fails inside of Paper Capacitors

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

sponge. Wet cellouse is conductive. There's no reason to overthink
this. Also, don't assume the paper the manufacturers used was stored
or wound in perfectly dry conditions. That's nearly impossible. I have
no doubt caps made under humid conditions failed more quickly than
caps made during dry times.

Yes they do and we are seeing the failures now. But it's been a pretty
good run for a paper dielectric cap. Much better than the wax covered
caps.