Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Diet Soda BS

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 10:09:10 AM UTC-4, Neon John wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:53:33 -0700 (PDT), Norman Yarvin
wrote:

My beef with artificially sweetened soft drinks is that they fool the body: when taste buds register sweetness, the body reacts by increasing blood sugar in anticipation of its carbohydrate storage being replenished by the incoming food. When no carbohydrate is really incoming, this leaves the body's storage more drawn-down than it should be. So I wouldn't have a problem with there being a real effect here, even if this study can't pick it out of the statistical noise.

Norman, I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic with an A1C of 5.2 so I know
a thing or two about how the sugar control system works. The taste
buds have no effect on insulin production. When I first heard that
rumor, I tested it out by consuming an unholy amount of splenda while
checking my sugar every 15 minutes for several hours. No deviation
from my normal ebb and flow.

The way the system works is that there is a blood sugar sensor built
into our bodies, located in the neck area if I recall correctly. It
releases a hormone that causes the Islet cells (the part of the
pancreas that makes insulin) to make more or less insulin as required.
The pancreas stores a small amount of insulin in normal people and
when the sensor detects a sudden increase in blood sugar, causes that
reservoir to be dumped. Derivative action, as it were. A very
sophisticated closed loop control system.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Yeah, I was going to let that one go, but as a Type I diabetic since 1973, I've never experienced any blood-glucose influence from straight artificial sweeteners --Sweet 'n Low being the odd man out; it contains a fair amount of lactose, and isn't "straight" in that sense.

--
Ed Huntress