Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

Default What actually Fails inside of Paper Capacitors

analogdial wrote:

1) Cellouse is marvelously hydrgroscopic. It sucks up humidity like a
sponge. Wet cellouse is conductive. There's no reason to overthink
this. Also, don't assume the paper the manufacturers used was stored
or wound in perfectly dry conditions. That's nearly impossible. I have
no doubt caps made under humid conditions failed more quickly than
caps made during dry times.

2) Wax is NOT a perfect seal against moisture. I'm sure plastics are
better but they aren't perfect, either. Ever see a tupperware container
sweating from the inside? That moisture diffused it's way through the
polyethelyne in maybe a few days or even hours.

Paper caps from the old days that HAD to last a long time were sealed
in soldered metal cans in oil. Too expensive for consumer gear! The
engineers who designed this stuff KNEW the paper caps would be failing
in a few years. So what? Electronics changes fast and the buyer
would almost certainly buy something newer before deteriorating caps
killed the device.

Those oil filled bathtub caps failed, as well. The paper broke down,
just like waxed caps, plus the rubber plugs would harden, crack and leak
oil.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.