Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:53:57 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:18:44 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article , says...

On 4/26/2017 4:19 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26/04/2017 02:36, Diesel wrote:

I don't like to run any of my vehicles that low on gas for any
length of time because it's hard on the fuel pump to do so.

Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement?

I don't know if he is correct, but a lot of people would agree with
that. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if it gets low the
pump could run hotter.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail

In saw more in-tank pumps go bad due to clogged up fuel filters, in part
because of rust caused by condensation from tanks always being run low. A
full tank keeps the condensation low. Ethanol adds to the problem by
mixing that rusty water in with the gasoline so the filter catches it and
gets clogged up, causing the pump to have to work harder to deliver the
gas.

BTW, I wrote this before clacking on your link, so, sorry for being
redundant! [g]

On the other hand the ethanol gets the water out right away instead of
allowing it to collect in the bottom of the tank. Condensation is not
as big a deal these days since tanks are not freely vented to air.
They breathe through a carbon filter.

That's true. When the ethanol was first introduced it caused a lot of
problems until most of the water was gone from the tanks. Not only your
vehicles, but the storage tanks at gas stations as well. Evap systems
have helped big too.

Ethanol is sorta half OK when it's warm, but the amount of water it
cam hold in suspension drops precipitously when it cools off, which
can dump the water into the bottom of the tank all at once when it
cools down. Called Phase separation, or Dropout. Go to start the cold
vehicle and the engine gets a slug of water into the pump p- and the
injectors.