Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What actually Fails outside of Paper Capacitors

Note the interpolations:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 05:28:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

There is that. But, let's start with the wax: A mixture of beeswax (small amount),
paraffin, and petroleum jelly for handling. Does anyone here know how old pure
beeswax candles were made? Beeswax was dissolved in warm water, and the
wicks were dipped multiple times into the solution, picking up a bit of additional
wax each time. the keyword is *DISSOLVED*. Even paraffin wax holds water,
and beeswax is directly water-soluble.

I know a woman who does historical re-enactments. One of her things is
making candles. You are right, the wicks are dipped in pure beeswax,
(Many times), and each time they get thicker.

I am not sure if you're saying the beeswax is dissolved *IN* the water,
or if you mean the container holding the wax is placed in warm water.
But to clearify this, there is NO WATER *IN* with the beeswax.

In the systems I have observed, the wax is mixed into the warm water, and for the most part floats on top - Little actually dissolves, and what does may be partially oxidized material. But there is definitely some that does. What this method does is allow a very thin layer of wax (as little as two inches) will allow full dipping once the wicks have their first coat. The old farmer that demonstrated this to me explained that it was much safer than putting a separate container in water, or, especially, over a fire.

Melting the container of wax with the container in some warm water would
likely work. Although she melts her container over a bed of hot coals,
which were created by burning wood inside a shallow hole in the ground,
surrounded by rocks. There is an iron grill across the rocks, and she
has a tin pan between the wax container and the grill (to keep wax from
dripping into the fire).

It's a simple but time consuming process. She says the main thing is to
keep the temperature right, so the wax stays melted, but dont overheat.
That's all accomplished by the spacing between the coals and the wax
pot, as well as the coals themselves.

At least now I know what wax is used, (or combination of). The petroleum
jelly (vaseline) part seems kind of bizarre, and why that helps with
"handling" makes no sense to me. But I'll take your word for it.

It does make sense if you consider the need to make a stable material that is easily spread, and spread very thin, and does not go soft at hand-temperatures (which are generally much lower than the typical tube radio. Paraffin makes the hard base, but does not spread well and needs to be quite hot to melt fully. Beeswax gives the spreading properties, but gets soft, so is used in small quantities. Petroleum jelly (thick, pure oil) prevents the materials from clouding and also reduces sticking to the processing machinery, operating at high speed, mostly. Keep in mind that both the beeswax and the jelly are minor admixtures,

So, now we know how water molecules can migrate thru the wax. But that
dont explain how they get inside of those old plastic coated caps,
(called bumblebees), or similar old caps. Those are sealed real well,
unless they develop a crack.

This is an easy one. A 'bumblebee' cap seal relies on the interface between two dissimilar materials with vastly different coefficients of expansion. Plastic and metal. Over time, micro-cracks will develop at the leads. Keep in mind that these capacitors live in a tough environment, and can go from freezing to very hot quickly and repeatedly.

The failure mechanisms are common, well understood, and time-sensitive - far shorter than "today". Unless you dabble in instrument amps, meaning that your caps serve as inductors, resistors, and occasionally as capacitors, you have no business leaving these beasts inside anything expected to function.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA