Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default What actually Fails outside of Paper Capacitors

On 4/26/2017 12:33 PM, wrote:
So, now we know how water molecules can migrate thru the
wax. But that dont explain how they get inside of those
old plastic coated caps, (called bumblebees), or similar
old caps. Those are sealed real well, unless they develop
a crack.

They are NOT "sealed real well."
Nor are the old "Micamold" paper dielectric capacitors.

I just re-capped a Collins R-390A receiver. There are 28
paper dielectric capacitors in the one I worked on. About
20 of them were the Sprague bumble bee types, and the rest
were Sprague Vitamine-Q.

Go ahead and say it, "Collins! Top of the line! Mil-Spec!"
They were still crap capacitors

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi